Sunday, October 3, 2010

I love my life now

Ringggggg…….
Aku:  hello!
(who the hell is this - a number that is not registered in my phone)
GC:    Hellooo!  this is Godwin Cheng.  If you remember, we worked together  before.  you are m***** formerly from f*****l  h*t** right? (in a perfect British slang)
Aku:  Urrrrhhhh, yeah! you got that right!
(trying very hard to remember who the bloke is)
hi  Godwin! How are you?
How in the world did you get my number?
GC:    Ooooh, I ran into Yati the other day at the mall, we had high tea at Pan Pac. She is the Sales and Marketing Director there you know!
(and then it dawned upon me who he was. Godwin,Yati and I were management trainee way back in 2004. There were 8 of us.)
Aku:  I haven’t heard from you for a long time. Are you still in the hospitality industry?
GC:    yeah! I guess I am too old to change profession now! And I love what I do. I have been away all these while, but now I am on a short holiday in Malaysia.
Aku:  where exactly are you now?
GC:    I am a British Permanent Resident now. I ran a modest hotel of 377 rooms just outskirt of London. It’s called The Buckland House. You must come stay with us the next time you go to England! Give you fantastic discounts!
Aku:  (I am lost for words!) sure or not!
GC:    I am sure I can work something out for you. The General Manager has lots of descretions you know!
Listen, I need you to help me with something….. it would be good to see you and all our friends, just to touch base?
………………………………………
And suddenly I felt very small.
I was reduced to a “pin in a haystack”. Although all hope is still not lost. And I remembered this song:




“SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW”

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

You know what, Godwin Cheng! I might not have the big car you drive, fat pay you earn, the bombastic position you hold and the plush lifestyle you lead, but I truly love my life now, I love what I do Alhamdullillah! and I am excellent at it too! InsyAllah!


No comments:

Post a Comment